‘Bad Boys 2’ filming keeps A1A closed Delray Beach section of beachside road most likely will be opened at midnight tonight

Filming of the big-budget action flick “Bad Boys 2” will continue today in Delray Beach, to the displeasure of some residents living near the South Ocean Boulevard mansion where the movie is being filmed.
Producers of the sequel to the 1995 blockbuster movie starring Will Smith and Martin Lawrence originally planned to wrap up filming Wednesday and then resume again Sept. 26 and 27.
But Delray Beach police said that State Road A1A from Linton Boulevard north to Casuarina Road near the Seagate Hotel would remain closed today and likely reopen at midnight.
“Things can change,” said Lt. Geoff Williams of the police department. “We’re not expecting it to be closed Friday, but if it is we’re ready for it.”
The movie’s publicist, Gabriela Gutentag, said it is almost certain the road will be opened to traffic Friday.
“Things happen when you do a shoot. Sometimes you get ahead and sometimes you fall behind,” said Gutentag, adding that the filming in Delray has gone smoothly in comparison to several mishaps in Miami Beach. The only difficulty cast and crew has faced, she said, has been reporters from the National Enquirer and Star magazine snooping around.
“It’s been great,” she said. “We’ve been lucky with the weather. Delray is such a beautiful area. We love it here.”
Today will mark the fifth day the stretch of road has been closed to through-traffic. Residents, their guests and those conducting business in the area were issued passes to enter the tightly guarded production zone – which has required the security efforts of 12 Delray Beach police officer augmented by private security guards. Coast Guard officers, meanwhile, are patrolling the shore.
Columbia Pictures will pay more than $30,000 for the police officers’ 1,000 hours of overtime.
Although cast and crew have apparently enjoyed their time in Delray since arriving in early August, city officials say they have heard a few complaints from neighboring residents of the unfinished 35,000-square-foot house at 1105 S. Ocean Blvd. In the film’s script, the $16 million home – formerly owned by Coca-Cola heir Michael Bird – gets blown apart, although most of the pyrotechnic effects will be added via computer after filming is finished.
But some neighboring residents haven’t been pleased with the way things were handled.
“We didn’t get ample notification,” said Ken Russell, who lives behind the Seagate Hotel.
Russell on Tuesday questioned commissioners on how the city would benefit from the movie.
Palm Beach County Film Commissioner Chuck Elderd and city officials have said the more than 300 crewmembers staying in local hotels, eating at local restaurants and spending at local shops will generate large revenues for Delray Beach.
City Commissioner Jeff Perlman said he has received a few calls from people complaining about being inconvenienced and wanting tickets to the July 2003 premiere of the film.
“’What’s in it for me? I’m not getting paid,’” said Perlman, recounting the complaint of one caller. “They want autographed pictures of the stars.”
“It’s an inconvenience, no question,” he added. “We’re sorry for the inconvenience, but this is something that is good for the whole community.”
Earlier this year, the three new owners of the more-than-two-acres of beachfront land had expressed an interest in having the mansion blown up during a movie production to help clear the land to make way for three new residences. They placed an ad in the entertainment journal Variety, which helped draw attention to the home.
The house is serving as the home of the villain, played by Jordi Molla, in the film. Crews spent more than a month constructing additions to the home using “breakaway” wood and glass that will be destroyed using pyrotechnics during production of the movie.
The mansion will be flattened later to make way for three smaller homes.